Angioplasty.Org
Most Popular Angioplasty Web Site

Normal to Feel Pain After Angiogram?

Email Bookmark and Share
Feeling pain after an angiogram procedure? An angiogram is an imaging test used in the diagnosis of heart disease, but some patients experience discomfort after the test itself.

Read the comments to learn how patients in similar situations are finding treatment solutions, and support the community by sharing your story.

Add Your Comment           See More Topics

Patients Are Reading...
a stent Top Forum Chat: How Long Will a Stent Last?
Transradial Wrist Approach to Angioplasty Patient Guide: FAQ on Wrist Angioplasty
Activated Patient The Activated Patient Blog:
Our Blog for Patients
candy hearts Twitter: Follow us on Twitter @cardiopatient
Bike Race Patient Empowerment: Take Charge with Action Resources
Doctor and patient PatientCenter: Read and Learn about Heart Health

CT scan of heart
Like your local educational TV or radio station, our Forum relies on help from visitors like you. The grant funding we receive does not fully cover our costs; please consider making a recurring monthly contribution or a one-time donation.
Donate Now!

More from the Forum:
• Browse through existing topics on the Patient Forum
• Create a New Topic on the Patient Forum

Click here for more information about the following ads

Current Postings on This Page (87):

• When you are having an angiogram, a local anesthetic is used at the site where the catheter is inserted (either the groin or the wrist). During the procedure, various pain medications are used, depending on the patient's need. So definitely let the cardiologist who is doing your angiogram know that your pain tolerance is low. And please, let us know how it went.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, August 10, 2022

• Do they give you medicine for pain, before, during and after. I have a low tolerance for pain and i know from what everyone’s saying on here, that i would like to be treated humanely and feel as comfortable as i possibly can by having good, strong pain medicine available to me.
Give pain meds, South Bay, Los Angeles, California, USA, August 5, 2022

• What is this pain that I am having in the area near my groin, after I had an angiogram 3 months ago. The pain resonates down my leg and sometimes interrupts my sleep and is painful when walking and even sitting. Help!
Serina, Houston, Texas, USA, November 21, 2021

• I'm 74 yrs. old and had an Angiogram in Feb.2019. I had lots of bruising from my groin down to my knee right side. It is now July 2019 and I'm still having discomfort in my groin and upper inner thigh especially sitting, bending or squatting. During the procedure i raised up in pain during their application of pressure. I ask if they heard the pop for it felt as if a bubble had popped under their fingers as pressure was applied. I thought they had mashed on a metal clip that was put in during a vasectomy years ago. In my post procedure check ups they say it's probably an irritated nerve that lies in the same area as the artery! I'm just looking forward to the day it ceases to bother me. I guess misery loves company for after reading these other comments I'm somewhat relieved that it has happened to others.
Buggs, Texas, USA, July 9, 2019

• Maggie in Kentucky - Do you know the name of the plug? AngioSeal? StarClose? We have a whole topic on complications from these plugs, which are called "Vascular Closure Devices." From your description, it sounds like you experienced a hematoma, a not uncommon complication after femoral angiograms/angioplasty. It is basically blood migrating under the skin from where the needle stick was done and it appear as a large purplish area. Minor hematomas (ones that don't grow in size) usually resolve in a few weeks or more. The pain, however, sounds like some other complication, possibly the femoral nerve got jostled and traumatized. This may also resolve itself, but a neurologist might be someone to consult. You can read more posts, not unlike yours, in our Forum Topic on Complications from Femoral Angiogram/Angioplasty.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, July 8, 2013

• I had an angiogram almost 4 months ago. Had bad bruising like 3 days later, had to go to ER. They said it was dried blood and all was fine. Still cannot walk for too far. Cannot stand for too long. Hurts from groin down my thigh up to my knee. Was told that I might need therapy. And I would like to know, why did I have to carry a card with me at all times, that I had this plug put in, at time of angiogram? this pain is starting to really worry me, and makes me feel that something went wrong. Should I worry? or is this normal?
Maggie May, Hebron, Kentucky, USA, July 7, 2013

• Normal in Arizona - Was your angiogram through the femoral (leg) artery or the radial (wrist)? Where exactly do you feel the pulsing?
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, June 23, 2013

• I just had an angiogram earlier today. I felt fine, the normal tenseness and such. I am starting to feel like a pulsing sensation in the area, is that normal?
Normal to feel pain after angiogram, Concho, Arizona, USA, June 15, 2013

• I had my angiogram a year ago. No bruising, no swellings. Was fine, but do notice a painful jab in that area about 2 times a week. Wakes me up from my sleep. The other day however, it has increased to intense pain as i walk. Soon to consult my physician. But the pain is exact spot of catheter insertion. I had no stents, as my heart was fine. I am, however in Renal Failure.
Cheyena, Salem, Oregon, USA, June 5, 2013

• TD in Winnipeg -- check out our Forum Topic on Complications from Femoral Angiogram/Angioplasty and you'll find (unfortunately) many other patients with similar complaints.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, March 6, 2013

• I had an angiogram to my right femoral artery for renal stenosis secondary to fibromuscular dysplasia. When they removed the catheter from my artery and starting applying pressure, I felt instant pain to my right hip area. Since that pain is still in my hip area and up my right flank. It has only been 5 days, but I am concerned how long it will last! Anyone else experience this and if so, what were the findings and how long did it last?
TD, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, March 5, 2013

• I have had two angiograms in the past resulting in 5 stents. There was a lot of groin pain from this, really unexpected as the local anaesthetic didn't seem to work. A few months ago I had to have another angiogram as I had an irregular heartbeat. The doctor cut into my left groin and I screamed in pain, he couldn't get the wire in, so he tried the other side and exactly the same thing happened,so he decided to go via the wrist,apparently he doesn't like doing it that way!! He got in this time and as the wire went to my heart it hit something it shouldn't and I suffered cardiac arrest. I was totally helpless, nothing I could do about it, I knew I had stopped breathing and just floated down a bright white tunnel. Fortunately they shocked me back very quickly, but you could feel the panic in the Cath lab. I am 100% OK now and do not need any more treatment. The theatre sister described the scene as a slaughter house, with such a lot of blood being lost.
Mikedozy, Talk radio, South Coast, United Kingdom, December 28, 2012

• Sherry P in California -- You posted to a topic about "Angiograms". If your friend had an "Angioplasty" (and probably a stent) check out our Forum Topic, "Not Feeling Well After Stenting" where you'll find a number of patients with similar complaints. However, the point of angioplasty is to relieve symptoms of heart disease. Did your friend have any before the procedure? Did she start any medications at the time? For example, some blood pressure meds are known to cause swelling in the ankles.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, May 6, 2012

• I have a friend that is 81 yrs young. She never had any complaints until a routine doctor visit sent her to the hospital and resulted in angioplasty around March 2011. It is over a year later and she complains about the tightness in her chest, swelling in her ankles, pain in her right thigh and pain in her right upper arm. The doctors keeps telling her it has nothing to do with the procedure. What can be done to improve her quality of life? She wants to be pain-free and have her previous energy back.
Sherry P., friend, mom, manager..., Santa Rosa, California, USA, May 3, 2012

• Ray in Chicago -- check out our Forum Topic on Complications from Femoral Angiogram/Angioplasty and you'll find (unfortunately) many other patients with similar complaints. It's hard to believe that pain in the right leg that started immediately after a catheter-based procedure has nothing to do with the procedure. Perhaps consult a neurologist or vascular surgeon.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, April 30, 2012

• I had an Angioplasty done in December of 2011, I am still in a lot of pain in my hip area. I was taking Tylenol up until a few weeks ago as this may cause other problems by taking it so long 04/24/2012 I am always in pain, I ride a bike to get temporary relief, any suggestions, the Doctor just looks at me and says couldn't be from the procedure. There is no question it is from the procedure. PLEASE! Any suggestions?
Ray, Chicago, Illinois, USA, April 24, 2012

• Lasan in Australia and Terry in California -- Have either of you started a new medication around the time of the angiogram? It is possible that some meds, such as clopidogrel, aspirin, etc. can irritate the gastric region. Some people are allergic to the contrast dye used in angiography, but gas, or burning gastric pain, is not a typical symptom. There are drugs that your cardiologist can prescribe to relieve this. Just a thought.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, April 3, 2012

• My mother also has a feeling of tightening in the middle of her chest and she also feels the need to burp which gives her some sort of relief. She had angiogram via the femoral artery. She says she feels something is there. Is this normal? Will it go away? The angiogram was normal.
Lasan, Australia, April 3, 2012

• I had a cerebral angiogram 5 days ago, and prior to that I had no chest pain, now periodically, I get a tightening around my heart, a squeezing, no other symptoms, no pain down my arm , no shortness of breath, if I burp or pass gas it feels better, is it possible to get gas after the angiogram? The pain scares me, but logically I don't think it's a heart attack, as I didn't have this pain prior to the angiogram. Did anyone else have this happen to them? It's a squeezing around your heart, like a pinch. thanks!
Terry, Fullerton, California, USA, March 19, 2012

• Chris in Buffalo -- not sure what you're referring to. We didn't comment on your earlier post. But what you describe is a complication of the femoral approach. You can read many stories (unfortunately like your own) in our Forum Topic on "Complications from Femoral Site During Catheterization, Angiogram or Angioplasty."
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, March 6, 2012

• Follow-up from January 30. There was no stent. The poked the hole, did their test and plugged it because they couldn't find anything that would cause SCA, or any reason to go back in. The pain is centered exactly where the incision was made, With ibuprofen, Tylenol and sometimes ice, I can diminish the pain to where I only feel the point of insertion. This lasts till I move a little, maybe a little longer if the ice pack has been on it for a long time. Pain is definitely caused, connected and centered at the point of insertion for the angiogram. Your comment doesn't make any sense, but your not on the inside where you feel the pain. This is different than the pain from the hernia repair, its sharper and has a definite center point that is easy for me to point out. Is is coincidence that the center point is exactly where they poked the hole? I doubt it.
Chris, Buffalo, New York, USA, March 5, 2012

• I Had an angiogram 1 Month ago . Everything was fine. But, Ever since At Night i have Numb hands and Feet. Also, I Have lower Cramping, and Gas, Gas ,Gas. Has this Happened to anyone else? Thanks.
Jean, Long Island, New York, USA, February 4, 2012

• I had a angiogram done on 3/4/11 to determine the cause of SCA (sudden cardiac arrest). They didn't find anything conclusive. In spite of my verbal objection before I was sedated, they went through my right femoral artery, also through a 3 year old hernia repair that had finally stopped hurting completely. Its almost 11 months later, I still wake up in pain every morning, and it gets worse once I start moving around. Pain around 2 wakes me up, and it gets to between 4 and 6 for the first few hours. Advil or ES Tylenol (generics) with my morning coffee, and all day till the pain subsides enough that I forget to take it. I move more freely in the evenings, but then I start again in the morning. It took 3 years for the hernia repair to stop hurting. 11 months of pain so far, I expect another 2 to 5 years before I can make it through the day without pills. No problems with my heart before or since. Work environment cause the SCA, but I'm in incredible pain from the TEST! Thanks so much Dr. Chaudry for ignoring my words and disabling me.
Chris, Buffalo, New York, USA, January 30, 2012

• DKG in Toronto -- Sometimes people get back pains from laying flat on the cath lab table and then in recovery for several hours. Don't know the genesis of your pain, but it is unlikely connected directly to the stent. As for exercise, check out our topic on "Exercise After Angioplasty".
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, January 4, 2012

• Hi,I have one Drug-eluted Stent done one month back. When I eat have a slight back pain sometimes, like muscle pull or knot. Is it normal? Also when do you start exercising? Please advise Thanks
DKG, Toronto, Canada, January 4, 2012

• I checked this site, to get feedback as we go to Bend, Oregon for Angioplasty on Jan4, 2012. We waited 3 years for it, as my husband smoked and no doctor wanted to risk the procedure at that time, he could walk very a short distance. Thank you for the information, I believe feeling pain is a lot better than being dead. This is a life saving procedure we did not have 60 years ago and my father died at 27 years old leaving his 23 year old wife to raise 3 small children alone. This is a life saver thank God for it,not any were does it say we will live pain free lives, get up and move around be thankful you still here to enjoy your life.
m.j.w., housewife, Shaniko, Oregon, USA, December 28, 2011

• Karen in Oklahoma -- check out our related topic on "Exercise After Angioplasty".
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, December 6, 2011

• I had Angioplasty on 11/21/11. My Dr. put in 2 stints [stents] and 1 balloon. I'm still feeling tired somewhat. I'm feeling a little out of breath today. I think I overdid it yesterday working a full day and handling chores at home, going to the store late. How do you know if you have overdone it? Don't want to push myself too far.
Karen, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, December 1, 2011

• Husband in Kentucky -- you can also read over our related topics in the sidebar. But I don't think we've had any postings of similar issues. It may be a nerve that got nicked. Can't say. Perhaps a neurologist could diagnose.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, November 30, 2011

• My wife had an Angiogram at least 6 years ago. Ever since then whenever she has her Menstrual Period she has a lot of pain at the injection site were they went into her leg during the procedure. This pain hangs on during the first few days of her period and ranges through a pain level of 5 to 8. She has told this to her doctors and they have no answers. Does any one know why this is and is there any solutions to end the pain (other than pain meds)? Do any other Ladies out there ever experience this pain?
Husband in KY, Maysville, Kentucky, USA, November 27, 2011

• Had an angiogram yesterday and I am a Suboxone patient so they gave me nothing for pain. They encountered some difficulties during procedure and the cath went up farther than usual which required the Anesthesiologist to apply extreme pressure above the port site for a good period of time. Though it was a necessary thing for him to apply such pressure, I was brought back to my room in intense pain through my upper back and flank area. the pain literally had me crying out and I have a high pain tolerance. Lying on my back for hours and unable to move in the worst pain of my life, I was given Tylenol and told to calm down. Now I am home an am still in great deal of pain. advice?
Jillian, Milwaukie, Oregon, USA, November 24, 2011

• I had an angiogram done through my right arm 4 days ago and the pain in my thumb and forearm is. continuing to get worse and is going higher from elbow and above and the vein/artery they went through keeps swelling off and on depending on the pain level. The more pain. The more swelling of the vein. I am still unable to extend arm completely straight. Is this normal or is there cause for concern?
Tammy, Mesa, Arizona, USA, October 31, 2011

• Pain in Struthers -- Sorry to hear of your problems. While it is true that the radial (wrist) approach is known to have less complications, it certainly sounds like that was not the case with your angiogram. We have cross-posted your comments in our Forum Topic on "Transradial (Wrist) Approach to Angiograms or Angioplasty" as well. FYI, your were not, per se, a guinea pig. The radial approach has been around for over a decade. You obviously experienced a complication.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, October 30, 2011

• I had a heart cath in my right wrist. Everything I read makes it sound like the new best thing. I am in so much pain. I am on day 5 I cried all thru my surgery from the pain that started when the Dr inserted the cath and after. I went to the Dr yesterday and he said the pain couldn't be from him even though i cried thru the surgery from the same pain. I don't know where to go now. I cant go back to work like this. It is 5 am and I just woke up that is the only reason my hand is stable to type and reach out, later it will be shaky from use. If I had know the procedure was new and I was a guinea pig I never would have allowed the arm access. I had a heart cath thru the groin in 2005 and never had this kind of pain. This stops me from everything and he did it in my dominant hand.
Pain in Struthers, Struthers, Ohio, USA, October 29, 2011

• Two years ago I had a catheterization done prior to surgery for the removal of a Left Atrial Myxoma. All was clear. To this day I still have some tenderness in my right thigh and sometimes my knee. Leg doesn't hurt but feels tired when walking a lot or climbing stairs. Cardiologist didn't seem worried by it. My GP thinks it might be nerve damage. Any Thoughts?
MSS, Long Island, New York, USA, October 17, 2011

• Just like all the people who have posted problems after angiogram, I have been nauseated with bad bruising and a lot of pain. Nothing prescribed. Was told no problems found except for the beginning stages of heart disease, go home today! WOW! I thought this was great, NOT! These people doing this procedure are crazy! They hurt people and let them go. Sick or hurt, doesn't matter, they just collect their money and go on about their business.
Karen, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, October 17, 2011

• I too had angiogram 10 days ago, no Stent fitted. I too am in a lot of pain. Have spoken to gp who thinks that the hospital may have caught a nerve when doing the angiogram. Said it would last about 2 weeks. But am feeling no better.
Susan, Derbyshire, UK, August 26, 2011

• Experiencing pain when lying down almost 2 weeks after angioplasty so severe cannot sleep. Does anyone have a comment or idea on this? How long for this to go away?
Pat @HMB, person wanting info, British Columbia, Canada, August 7, 2011

• Kitty -- we are not clear from your post if you got a stent, etc. You say you were afraid of the contrast dye (which, with an elevated creatinine level, was warranted). So did you get a stent and, if so, where?
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, July 4, 2011

• this is question of leg arteriogram/angio balloon/stent? THREE weeks ago yes. am,I woke with an entirely numb left foot/part of lower leg. I thought I had done something to it or had slept wrong, so even though tremendous pain in foot, didn't go to reg. dr. for couple of days. He thought it was probably neuropathy like have I've in both upper legs for years. He did an x-ray of leg (negative) and did a CPK test;days later, they called and said creatinine was high and to take prednisone for 14 days. The numbness and pain kept being bad, esp. when lying down. Numbness got a little better, but not pain, so i went to a local State Care type clinic. The dr said he could not feel pulses in foot and referred me for ABI test and Doppler Ultrasound test the next day. vascular dr.said tests were abnormal and there was probably an obstruction, but had to do Arteriogram to see where, then possibly do balloon/stent procedure. this was this past Friday. I was afraid of contrast dye.and wanted to think about it. He prescribed nothing (I told him about pain being 12 on 1-10 scale lying down.) Why would there be pain after the stent, not femoral site? what can I do for this pain. I do not smoke.
Kitty, Southwest Mississippi, USA, July 4, 2011

• my husband had an angiogram in March of this year. He is now experiencing weakness in his right leg. Is this normal?
Kay, Alsip, Illinois, USA, May 30, 2011

• Ginsue -- check out our related topic on "Vascular Closure Devices". A large hematoma is a known complication from a catheter-based procedure using the femoral approach. Unfortunately, vascular closure devices, while reducing the time for ambulation (walking) do not necessarily reduce the complications. If you are still having problems, you should alert your cardiologist so that (A) he/she may be able to help you and (B) he/she is made aware that a complication did occur. Unfortunately, with our fragmented healthcare system, many cardiologists who do these procedures never get the feedback from complications like yours
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, May 30, 2011

• It's been two weeks and 3 days since my heart cath. I had an angioseal in right groin area. Next day, large hematoma diagnosed by cardiologist. Within next few days, bruising from pubic area down to right knee. Few days after that, bruising on right hip and lower left abdomen. Legs feel very heavy and periodic pain waves through both legs not like I've ever known before. Yesterday walked a lot, felt fine..today, can barely get off sofa. Is this all NORMAL? The heart cath attendants in recovery said "oh, you'll be able to even drive your car tomorrow." NOT! Could barely walk for over a week. Please, if anyone has info... Thanks.
Ginsue, Santa Cruz, California, USA, May 29, 2011

• Anne in Calgary -- if you read through the posts on our "related topic", titled "Complications from Femoral Site During Catheterization, Angiogram or Angioplasty", you'll find a number of posts similar to yours. The ultrasound imaging can show if there is foreign matter in the artery, or if there is bleeding, but you may have pain as a result of the femoral nerve being traumatized, or other similar adverse event (not shown on ultrasound). This usually resolves within days or weeks...but if you are having pain, by all means contact the cardiologist who did the angiogram and let him/her know: (a) the cardiologist should be made aware that you are experiencing these adverse reactions, and (2) he/she may be able to give you something to ease the pain.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, May 4, 2011

• I had a angiogram done two days ago, and The next day I had extreme pain in my right leg and site where they done the angiogram, then I went to the hospital and they done a ultrasound and it was ok. So I was told things was ok. the third day I wake up around 4:30am and in major pain down my right leg what is it please, it hurts so bad.
Anne, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, May 4, 2011

• Mrs. Bhuwalka -- see our response from February 24.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, March 26, 2011

• I have had angiogram done 6 days ago through my wrist, Whenever I do anything or use my right hand it is very sore and whole arm is painful. Always my hand is paining. Is this normal? I am on a painkiller but that does not work much. please give your suggestion.
MRS LALITA BHUWALKA, INDIA, March 26, 2011

• I had a stent placed in my artery 2 months ago. I feel aches in my arms and often pinches in my chest with some added pain and discomfort. i checked in the emergency twice and they found nothing wrong with my heart or blood tests. My doctor lowered my lipitor dose from 80 mg to 40 and now to 20 mg and there was some improvement however when I sit or rest in a particular way I still get pain and discomfort. I was told that it may be angina and to use my nitro pump and spray under the tongue. My cardiologist said that there are no side effects with plavix except for mild headaches. Although the pain and discomfort has decreased it still feels uncomfortable and scary. After research on this problem it's obvious that I'm not alone. Why do the doctors not properly advise of of theses symptoms in order to avoid panic and shed some understanding of the effects of an angiogram?
Nikolaos, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, February 25, 2011

• Surinder -- check out our Forum Topic on the radial (wrist) approach. Also, report your issues to the interventional cardiologist who did the procedure. He/she may be able to help.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, February 24, 2011

• I have had angiogram done 4 days ago through my wrist, Whenever I do anything or use my right hand it is very sore and whole arm is painful. Is this normal? I am about to start my work on monday, and i am worried.
Surinder, Sydney, Australia, February 24, 2011

• Bee from California -- the bruise is a small hematoma. The concern would be if it is growing and spreading significantly -- otherwise both the lump and bruise should go away. You can read other storiesin the "related topics" in the right hand column.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, January 6, 2011

• I had an angiogram about 4 days ago, and I have a tiny lump with bruising is that normal?
Bee, Ontario, California, USA, January 3, 2011

• My Husband had 2 angiograms done 5 days ago. They used a 6 french catheter to stent his left iliac artery. He is having constant pain in his left scrotum. His penis and scrotum are getting more and more bruised each day. The right side where they did a heart cath the same day has been no problem. We have talked to the vascular surgeons office and they did not seem concerned. How long should this go on?? Could he still be bleeding?
Carol, Brookings, Oregon, USA, November 22, 2010

• Pain in Kolkata and DGM from Michigan -- see our response from October 18.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, November 17, 2010

• leg angiogram three days ago, groin is sore, but if I turn my right leg a certain way-stretch it-I get a sharp pain from my ankle to my groin-almost burning. Can anyone help?
DGM, Michigan, USA, November 16, 2010

• I recently underwent an angiogram for suspected aneurysm on 20th oct. the procedure turned out to be negative for any blockages. i was asked to keep my right leg in one position for min 8 hours ( no movement). post 8 hours i was discharged. to my dismay and till date after walking 15 steps at normal pace a shooting mascular jabbing pain starts from my right hip and then travels down the right thigh. have got colour doppler done, CT angio done, all reports negative. the cardio rules out any angiogram related complication. then why is the pain there in my right leg ? when shall it go ? have no black or blue marks in an around the puncture (catheter entrance site). please advise.
Pain in right leg post angiogram, Kolkata, India, November 8, 2010

• i had an angioplasty 20 days back. i am getting sparks and irregular pain in my thigh from which the tube for angioplasty was inserted.is it normal? for how long will this pain continue? although my dr says to ignore it as it will go in due course of time but the pain is there and it occurs any time
ss, Mumbai, India, October 26, 2010

• MMM from Cairo -- Check out the related topic on "Complications from Femoral Site During Catheterization". You'll see that unfortunately a number of patients have similar complaints. The pain may or may not be related to the catheterization, but possible causes are a blockage that resulted from the hematoma, or trauma to the femoral nerve that runs alongside the femoral artery. Sometimes in a catheter-based procedure. the nerve can getted "nicked" or compressed and it may take a while for it to recover. Some patients have consulted a neurologist.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, October 18, 2010

• hello, I'm a 70 year old man, i had an angiogram 65 days ago, i had a large sized haematoma at the site of the catheter, which resolved over 2 weeks following the procedure, but an increasing pain descending down my knee and to my right leg is making my life a living hell, i checked with my cardiologist, vascular surgeon and GP, they all said there's no apparent problems,, but the pain is pain is excruciating and doesn't appear to resolve at all, PLEASE PLEASE help, is this normal??
MMM, Cairo, Egypt, October 18, 2010

• Phillip from South Africa -- look over the posts onb our topic, "Not Feeling Well After Stenting". Others have experienced similar discomforts which, hopefully, go away after a few weeks or so. But if you are not feeling well, you should consult your cardiuologist.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, August 11, 2010

• I had an angiogram on 23/07/10. I feel discomfort and occasional heat where the 1 stent was implanted. Is this normal?
Phillip, Western Prov., South Africa, August 11, 2010

• I had a angiogram 3 weeks ago. I started walking and exercising again, but now I have a throbbing pain in the groin area and sometimes a heavy feeling of the right leg is this normal and if so how long before it goes away.
JTC, Sparks, Nevada, USA, June 14, 2010

• Lob -- Read over our related topic on "Complications from Femoral Site During Catheterization". You'll see a number of posts about this. The black-and-blue area is called a hematoma -- a bruise or bleeding underneath the skin. It happens not infrequently, and usually disappears in a couple weeks. But if the area is spreading in size, it may indicate a small bleed that should be looked at. To be safe, call your cardiologist and describe it in detail.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, May 15, 2010

• My mom just had an angiogram with a placement of a stent. The black and blue at the site of the catheter is traveling down her leg more and more each day. Is this normal?
Lob, Merrick, New York, USA, May 15, 2010

• Karen -- was the catheter introduced in through the right leg/groin area? It is possible that anerve got traumatized, but there's also the possibility of some vascular complication. If this is still happening, definitely contact the cardiologist who did the angiogram and get checked out right away
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, February 7, 2010

• I had an angiogram on 22 jan, and it was normal, however when I went to bed that night my knee felt like it had been dislocated. I now feel a constant throbbing and numbness in my leg. The pain is coming from the left side of my right knee and leg. Does anyone know what this could be. I have no pain whatsoever from my groin.
Karen Gregory, England, United Kingdom, February 4, 2010

• Lalit -- as you can read here and in the related topics in the right column, some patients continue to have pain at the catheter insertion site. But normal pain should be gone after 7 days. If this continues, see your cardiologist.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, January 25, 2010

• i have an angioplasty done and its good that i am safe from coming heart attacks but after 7 days of operations I am still having severe pain in right thigh.so is it normal or i should do something to get the relief??? can i take pain relief pills???
Lalit Redwal, India, January 24, 2010

• My sister had a 2nd angiogram within a week yesterday. It was a femoral. She was sent home a few hrs later and has been complaining about back and leg pain. She indicated that when she stands up she needs help, as he legs feel like they are going to give out on her. Is this back and leg pain normal? She had blood on the brain, but no aneurysm was found
AZ, Arizona, USA, October 22, 2009

• Stuart -- a scrotal hematoma is not common, but it does occur. You can find others with this complication in the related topic on "Complications from Femoral Site During Catheterization, Angiogram or Angioplasty"
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, October 3, 2009

• Hi i had an angiogram 6 days ago my penis went black and my scrotum also went black my right testicle is twice the size as it was and very tender. I cant sit stand or walk without being in so much pain. Is this common?
Stuart F., Lichfield, United Kingdom, September 30, 2009

• I had an angiogram 2 weeks ago and beginning Monday, I have been having excessive pain in my left side and lower abdomen. It feels like a needle is in me and a fluid is leaking into my stomach. I am very swollen and can barely walk. Went back to the doctor Thursday and they gave me pain pills. I am very short of breath. The pain medicine is not working. I keep wondering if I should go the ER.
Kathy, Midland, Texas, USA, September 18, 2009

• Kathy -- check out our topic on "Complications from Femoral Site During Catheterization" in the related topics column in the right sidebar. You'll find, unfortunately many other patients with similar stories and what they've done.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, April 10, 2008

• I had an angiogram done about one month ago..about a week after I was walking and all of a sudden I felt this "pop" kind on pain in my right thigh..it hurt alot..I couldn't start back walking without pain and I couldn't start off on the leg..I had to hold onto something to get walking again..it went off and on like that for most of the night < work nights>..it still shows up and hurts off and on and still have the same symptoms..now I have noticed that when I bend my right leg I have the same kind of pain behind my knee..its not a constant pain but it still hurts when I do get it..could this be some kind of nerve damage from angiogram???... Thanks
Kathy, Houma, Louisiana, USA, March 31, 2008

• I had an angiogram yesterday, and gratefully all the arteries are clear! Today my chest in the area of my heart hurts when I move. Is this just a normal soreness?
Nan, Utah, USA, March 22, 2008

• To all posters in this topic, please check out the "related topics" in the right column where you'll find many more posts related to pain after catheterization/angiogram, usually related to the catheter access site in the groin/leg.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, February 28, 2008

• Mukul -- a treadmill test can certainly point up a possible problem. We're assuming this was NOT a nuclear study, done with thallium or other nuclear isotopes. There are other non-invasive non-catheter tests that can show the progress and presence of coronary artery disease, such as the nuclear thallium stress test, and also more recently the 64 slice CT angiogram. Read more about these in our Imaging and Diagnosis section.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, January 18, 2008

• I had angioplasty in one of my arteries during July 2003, I had no pain in the chest, but TMT (Tread Mill Test) shows ischemia, so doctor advised to get angio and then he did angioplasty for the artery 75% blockage was there.The other one had only 25% blockage, so, nothing done on it. I am doing regular exercise, taking regular medication, very moderate lifestyle having no complaint at present, rather feeling better. But yearly routine TMT test shows ischemia positive. Do I need to undergo Angiography again now?
Mukul G., Ohio, USA and INDIA, January 12, 2008

• It's been 10 days since my angiogram. Almost immediately, I had right-side pain, not at the site, but 2 inches above and continuing to the hip bone. Ultrasounds and CAT scans confirmed hematoma, and was told it may take 5 weeks to go away. Also, could have been a hernia close to reconstruction site after breast cancer. Should I just be patient w/the very-tender site, or see the cardiologist? Thanks.
Linda, PG, Florida, USA, October 25, 2007

• I had an angiogram 10 days ago. Results good with nothing adverse found in heart or arteries. I now have considerable pain in leg which encircles top of thigh and spreads down right leg, sometimes with a feeling of a stitch in my side. I am 53 and feel angio has created problems that I did not have before. I did not have any pain before angiogram. Will this subside and disappear? Has anyone had this?
Louise Dian, United Kingdom, July 12, 2007

• It's me again. I had another Angioplasty on 21 Nov 2005. I should also mention I had one on 12 July 2005 also and 5 times previously within two years of each other. I now have a grand total of 15 Stents inserted in my coronary arteries over the past 28 months. First, I was pretty confident that the entry site would hold, just as it did 6 times before. This allowed me to be pain free from day one. While I did not do any hard labor or attempt a marathon, I also did not baby it. I got up and walked normal 3.5 hours after the procedure. I never leaned or limped when I walked, as one would instinctively out of fear of blowing a cork. Now, can anyone tell me what the true record is for the amount of coronary stents in one man's heart ? DEAD or ALIVE? BTW. . .I have recently been diagnosed with FM and CFS
RayZ, San Diego CA USA, November 28, 2005

• Luis -- ideally "normal" would be not having any problem, pain, swelling, etc. This is not to say you should be worried, but you should report any complaints to your doctor. What you describe sounds like a hematoma, and this is one of the more common complications from angiograms -- and it may resolve itself, but always discuss these things with the cardiologist who did the procedure. It's not possible to give specific medical advice about this type of complication without seeing you. Let us know what happens.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, October 1, 2005

• I had an angiogram done 6 days ago. I can walk with a limp. I still have minor pain, sensitivity, and black and blue in the area. I do however have a lymph I guess swelled where I can feel it. I have to go back to work on Monday, I can wall but I do feel minor pain in the area. Is this normal??
Luis Cornejo, New York, October 1, 2005

• Thanks for your responses. I am feeling a lot better now. I think RayZ was right. I was babying the site and not walking upright some from pain and some from not wanting to rupture the site. Once i started just taking some of the pain and walking normally the quicker the pain went away. I will use this knowledge in the future. I now have to get one done at least once a year to monitor the aneurysms they found.
Christy, Texas, USA, July 17, 2005

• Okay. . I agree pain is subjective. BUT, I must state that whenever a patient says "IT HURTS", to a doctor or a nurse, it is my guess that they want some relief. - - - The question put forth "On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate your pain, 10 being the worse, 1 being the least" is a question that drives me insane. REASON: If someone had their face ripped off, one would assume the pain level would rate a 10. However, if some sadistic person then poured gasoline on that open wound, where does the pain level go from there? Now, let's put a match to it? Get the picture? It is my belief that whenever some one says they have "PAIN" for whatever reason, once the reason for it is established and handled accordingly (medically), the pain should be addressed to alleviate it. I find that the medical profession lacks training in being able to "feel the pain" being expressed by their patients and should simply ask, "what have you done to try to alleviate it and then take whatever action is required. Having had 6 angioplasties in the last 2 years, the pain at the entry site varied each time. Having had my last just 2 days ago, I am sore at this time. 5 days from now I may still be sore. It took a week for me to walk standing straight up after the last one. One thing I did notice, walking straight up became a matter of trusting the access site not to rupture and allowing your muscles to carry your weight the way it was meant to. The quicker you can get there, I believe the quicker the pain will subside. Good luck.
RayZ, San Marcos CA USA, July 14, 2005

• Christy -- first off read our disclaimer. Nothing you read here should be used as a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional. Pain is subjective -- it's hard to measure what "a lot" means -- certainly over the internet -- but if you are feeling "not normal", always check with your doctor. A patient shouldn't be feeling "a lot of pain" five days after an angiogram. Is the pain where the catheter was inserted? If so, the insertion site should be checked for infection, etc. Let us know what you find out.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, July 10, 2005

• I just had an angiogram done 5 days ago to insert dye in me to see if I had an aneurysm. The doctor tried to send me back to work the next day and then said wait a week, then go back full duty. I am supposed to return to work tomorrow but I am still in a lot of pain. Is this normal?
Christy, Texas, USA, July 10, 2005

add your response
Please keep your posting concise. For readability we limit responses to 1,200 characters. Also note that The Forum is not an "ask-a-doctor" service; we do not dispense medical
advice about a patient's specific situation. Read our disclaimer and note that no information
on this Forum should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation
with a medical doctor
: characters left

Forum name -- how do you want to be identified on your post (Required) your email address (Required):
email address must be current and valid; if email sent to the address
below is returned, your comments will not be posted; your email address
will not be displayed on the Forum unless you specifically request it: please enter your email address again (for verification)
geographic location (city, state, province and/or country -- Required):
REQUIRED -- Check the box below to let us know you are a "real human being" and not a spambot. You must check this box for your posting to be submitted: I am a real person and not a spambot The following information is optional. your name:

your organization:
Check the box below if you wish Angioplasty.Org to "anonymize" your posting (for example, John Doe, Baltimore, Maryland, USA would become John D., Maryland, USA): please anonymize me To submit your post, please click the button below once and wait for a confirmation.
Clicking more than once will result in multiple submissions.